The Fort Saskatchewan Junior Lacrosse Club is looking to add to its volunteer base. We have just completed a very successful 1st season in Tier 1 lacrosse but we are looking for folks to help us become the best organization in lacrosse.
Why would you want to take on a volunteer commitment in your already busy life?
Here is why:
- It is fun! No one has more laughs than the team that are running game day operations or sitting in a Director position with the club. Meeting most often occur over a cold one at a local establishment.
- It is focussed on the community! We are committed to not only winning and the development of our players, but we understand the role that we can play to promote and foster relationship among local business, support local community groups, bring awareness to noble causes and just act as a catalyst to bring Fort Saskatchewan together.
- It is a challenge! Fort Saskatchewan is the smallest community in Canada that hosts a Junior B Tier 1 lacrosse team. The economy is down. We have been forced to come up with new ways to promote the club for ticket sales and corporate partnership and so far it is working but we are never going to be done.
- It is rewarding! The number one thing that the Rebels recruit for is character in the players. The result is that these are a great bunch of young men. No prima donnas, no whiners, just hard working fellas that are incredibly appreciative of what we do for them.
- It is organized! We have a five year strategic plan. We know where we are going as an organization. How do we get there? That’s where you come in. We are looking for creative, ‘out of the box’ thinkers. We will provide the structure and support but you get to apply your ideas.
Specific roles that we are looking for:
Game Day Coordinator – 10 home games a year (plus playoffs – hopefully), you will oversee the gate and 50/50 sales, liaise with arena staff and organize special guests (mini-tyke game, between period entertainment, etc.) and direct game day volunteers.
Game Day Volunteers – 10 home games a year (plus playoffs – hopefully), a whole array of little jobs that make a big event!
- Ticket sales
- Merchandise sales
- 50/50 sales
- In game DJ/Announcements
- Visiting team host
These are just a few. Tell us what you want to contribute. We are open to ideas that make the game experience special for our fans!
Education and Career Coordinator – Our players are 17-21 years old, right in the prime of those major life decisions like post-secondary education, first ‘real’ jobs and apprenticeships. The Rebels take care of their players! We would like to offer a resource to them that can navigate this challenging time. Your role will involve working from the information that we have already collected from players regarding the work and school aspirations and liaising with local business, researching educational requirements and guiding our boys to make solid, informed choices about their next steps.
Community Coordinator – We have dipped our toe in supporting community groups – B&Gs Club, Fort Mac Fire Relief and Fort Saskatchewan Food Gatherers Society – but there is so much more that we can do. We will help you will make a list of contacts from community organizations and lead the conversations to see how we can help. We have a strong social media presence, a regular audience of 200 people and 25 strong young men willing to serve. Find us ways to use this for the benefit of the community.
Business Partner Liaison – Our business partners are the life blood of what we are able to do as an organization. Whether it be to help fund team equipment/activities or to support the community groups that we bring to the table, Fort Saskatchewan business has been fantastic to step up. This role will work with the General Manager to continue to build existing relationships and find new ones by demonstrating the value for businesses to be involved with the Rebels.
Special Events Coordinator – During the off season, we plan on having 1 or 2 special events (pub nights, dinners, etc.) to act as fundraisers for the club operations, player scholarships and partner charities. We are looking for someone who likes to plan a party! This role will work with the other volunteers to book venues, help line up prizes, get tickets printed, coordinate event marketing and lead volunteers to run the events.
If you have any interest or questions about the above roles or have an idea about another one, please contact Dave McGarva (email@example.com or 780-914-9584). He sit down for a chat andbuy you a coffee (or beer!).